Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Concerning the day's affairs. And the Holocaust.

Yo. Whats up readers. Its time for me to update my blog. So far, nothing to exciting has happened today, but I'm generally pretty content. I wok up at 6:15 to get ready for work, ate breakfast and all that, and then rode in. Started work, still working in Shipping, which is past the point of getting old and is now just a boring expectation. I'd like to go back outside and pick weeds, but its getting to warm for that to be comfortable anytime after ten or so. So shipping is probably actually for the best. Anyway, I talked to my co-worker Chuck a great deal today, and he keeps revealing more and more sexually perverse aspects to her personality. I'd write about them here, but I fear children's eyes may someday come across this, and I wouldn't want them to be scared to the point of retardation by the stuff chuck tells me. Overall, its pretty hilarious though. So I got out of work at 3:15 and bought a meatball sub, and have since returned home where I am considering either going hiking at Harold Parker, taking a nap, or reading for a while before I go to workout. Decisions Decisions.

I am probably going camping this weekend, which should be fun. I like the woods, and hanging out in the river should be a real blast. I'm curious as to who is going, it seems like most of the basement is interested in attending, but I don't know for sure. The more the merrier, but only to a point. Then it become to many cooks spoil the broth. Hows that for outdated colloquialisms? haha.

Alright, time for the rant of the day. Completely out of left field....

The Holocaust.


Honestly, its hard for me to comprehend that such a thing happened. I am not denying it, because the evidence is overwhelming, but its just difficult for me to wrap my mind around that type of situation, the seek and destroy, round em up type mentality that lead to such an atrocity. Now, I suppose I'm being a bit euro centric when I talk about the holocaust, because I realize there were many other holocausts all around the world, like the Armenian genocide, Rwandan, the situation currently going on in Darfur, and of course perhaps history's greatest (if it can be described in such a way) genocide, the American Indian genocide. I guess, to be honest, I just know the most about the European holocaust. I think if I was living during that time period, and was informed and not kept in the dark, I would probably be petrified. Its awful, the inhumanity of it all, and its very difficult for me to grasp it.

This brings us to the obvious question: What makes people do these things to each other? How can one group of people inspire so much dislike in another group that they lash out and try to rid the entire world, and often even the worlds past through the purging of history, of their presence? It seems to me that its an issue of Eugenics, of one group of people believing themselves not only superior, but superior inherently, to another group. Let me articulate what I mean. The Nazi's didn't believe they were better then the Jews (and the lowlanders, and the homosexuals and gypsies) because they worked harder or had more drive (although they believed that such things were inherently programmed into them, so it was natural for them to be this way) but rather that they were simply engineered better. That their race was the natural superior to the other races. I feel like believing your better then someone because you work harder breeds contempt, but believing your better then someone because of hard-wiring, that breeds hatred. The same is true in the Armenian genocide, although that was an issue of western and eastern worlds overlapping as much as it was an issue of race. I suppose you could argue that the culture overlay and race go hand in hand. The American Indian genocide, while largely a side effect of genetic vulnerability and isolation, also was soaked in racist and eugenical ideology. The same is true in Darfur, and was true in Rwanda. This begs the question: Is it natural for humans to believe themselves superior to those that are different then them, either racially, culturally or in some other way? Is this a side effect of our god given intelligence and free will, a desire to elevate the self to a higher place of being, not so much by hard work and discipline as by tearing the rivals down a few pegs, as to be the last one remaining decent and good?

Humanity is capable of some terrible things, and the bloodstains we leave behind, the tragedy stained footprints that illuminate the darkest corners and causeways of our history, is often hard to grasp.


Tomorrow, another boring recap of the day, and then the rant on.....

Well, it could be anything. See ya then.


-DH

No comments: