Monday, July 28, 2008

Retrospection: On today, and the day before and so on.

First of all, whats up? I guess that is a casual tie into what I hope will be a blog that will get viewed by most of you. By you, I mean my friends and family, and perhaps the occasional curious stranger hoping to glimpse into a different world. Regardless, here it begins. No secrets. My name is Daniel Hall, I am a 20 year old guy who lives outside of Boston. Really, I live a lot closer to Lowell. Whatever. Anyway, I was going to reveal all my interests and passions outright, but I figured it would be better to slowly reveal every idiosyncrasy of myself through blogging. Hahaha. Anyway, I guess I'll set it up like this. I'll recount the events of the past day or couple of days and then go into a rant on some sort of topic, perhaps pertaining to the topic at hand, perhaps not. So here goes.

Yesterday:

Yesterday, the 27th of July, was one of the biggest days of my summer so far. At the beginning of the summer, me and my friend Nate Beittel, who is the little brother of my friend and college classmate Natalie Beittel, decided that we were going to do a powerlifting competition. So we piked the Maine open iron bash, located in Freeport, Maine. So I had fixed my training schedule (I'm an aspiring personal trainer, and should have my certification by Christmas. If anyone wants a program made for them, let me know. For the most part, I know what I'm talking about) to focus on a powerlifting type workout. Anyway, essentially since mid May I began doing a lot of different stuff, or the same stuff really but more intensely. Regardless, I was ready when it was time, and we went up on Friday to get situated, then to weigh in on Saturday. I was supposed to be competing at the 165 lb weight class, but because of ridiculous situations involving unreliable powerlifitng weigh in officials, I was not able to weigh in until the next day. Because of this, I had to eat in order to have a decent degree of strength. so I ended up weighing in at 167, and had to compete at the 181lb weight class, which was a bummer. Regardless, I came ready to compete, and I managed to squat 405 lbs (Very close to sticking 420, but just barely missed it), benched 265 (attempted 290 twice afterward, but failed both times) Then deadlifted 430, 460, 475. the 475 broke the Massachusetts state record for 20-23 yr olds at 181, so I was given a bonus attempt where I hit 490. So I am not the Massachusetts dead lift record holder a weight class heavier then I actually weigh. Sweet. It helped that a bunch of my friends showed up to the meet with custom made Dan Hall t-shirts (thanks Lane!). We all went out to eat after this, and it was a great experience and will forever be a great memory of mine.

After the competition, me and Big Nate returned home. It was a long ride through thunderstorms, and then a long drive to Worcester to Nates house. To be honest, it was weird being there again. Anyone who's familiar with my situation would know why, but regardless it was enjoyable. I went home, and stayed up fairly late just chilling in my room. I slept really late today and got up and made this blog. So that's it so far, really.


So thats it for recounting the past, and here goes the rant.

Topic: Persistance

In my humble opinion, I think persistence is the second most important thing to possess in order to achieve success in life. He who keeps attacking and going forward toward his goals and dreams is the one who will meet them and become that which he wants to be. I know I wouldn't have achieved what I did at the powerlifitng meet if I hadent have gone lifting as much as I had. there were times when I didn't do things I wanted to do in order to make it to my lifting session. I also had to eat relativity clean, and if anyone knows my mother they know how difficult doing that is. I wish I could bring that persistence and drive over to every avenue of my life, because I now I would be a much better person for having done so. I can only imagine the type of success I, or anyone, might have if I was able to tap into a singular and complete focus. Maybe someday.

Until next time, readers.

-DH

1 comment:

asiantom said...

I'm with you Detch, Deetch, Deach, Deech (I think i prefer Detch, but it doesn't make the DEE-ECH sound I'd like. So we're going with Deech, unless you have an objection!)

Anyways. Ima reading?