Sunday, September 7, 2008

It's a hard pill to swallow

But oh how the flavor sticks with you, time.

Anyway, Its been a little while, and im gonna blog big time tonight. I'm gonna finish Alabama day, then write all about my college experiance thus far. So here goes!

We went into the woods in Moundsville to explore that which was not presented before us. There are a lot of cool things out there, we saw illogically placed trees and bugs that were really red and dangeorus looking. Ryan also got a rare soda for his collection, the unusual and almost surreal Grapico. It was a happening. We left Moundsville after I attempted to charm the women at the counter, to no effect. Even my knowledge of Alabama football didnt make her budge. But I got a t-shirt and a magnet and a mess of memories.

We set out toward Tuscalosa and the esteemed highway that we called home, but saw the irresistable signs that said "Flea Market" and couldent resist. We were in the boonies, lemme tell you. We pulled over and it was set up like some sort of odd little village of trash, with tiny houses overflowing with debris and other peoples rubbish being resold as hidden treasures. We encountered a old woman, named granny, who gave us life changing advice and ideas about what to do in new orleans. After that exchange we set out o the road, going back toward the bustling college town of Tuscaloosa. We stopped to get some food in this buffet (which are all over the south) place called Ryan's. We were in a minority there as far as the color of our skin is concerned. As in, we were the only white people in the establishment. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just sayin'.

So we have what is known as a solid hang there, and finaly set out on the highway west, toward the barren wasteland known as Mississippi. (The lady at moundsville I so ineffectivly tried to charm told us to roll up our windows and plow right through the big Mississip) We basically didnt stop as we drove through Americas second poorest state, the black highways and occasionally trucker our only company. We got hit by some pretty furious rain on the way through the state, but kept on trucking driving down the body of it, toward the coast. We were actually gunning for Louisiana, but had to settle for the border town of Picayne.

We got to Picayne and decided to stay in a hotel for the night. So Me, Land and Ryan made it happen and ran into a nameless girl at the desk who I christianed Vicky. She looked like a Vicky, whatever that means. She was wicked southern, but not the belle kind. More like a swamp land cinderella, and thats putting it nicely. Ayhow, we got our room, move our stuff in, and then explore the parking lot a bit. I went into Winn Dixie, a rare and unique supermarket that only exists in the deep south. There we bought rare Sodas, big Red and something else which name escapes me currently. We then called it a night, mostly.

Now, for college!


This year has already had its ups and downs, and only a week to experiance them. So I'm gonna highlight the highlights and scrouge up the lowlights for ya, right quick. Who knows, you might even enjoy it.

My classes are generally ok. A lot of reading, more then I am willing to do, honestly. I'll manage though, no worries. Scheduals not to bad, a few intense walks here and there to get across campus, but nothing heart breaking. Nice to see my friends again, but I miss those who arnt here anymore. Pat Storey came up, and it was a delight to see him as usual. Living with Gumbleton has been better then expected, but I wouldent call it good.

I guess thats it for now. Its late, I ahve class, blah bla blah /end.

1 comment:

lane_is_lame said...

I intend to have a conversation at some point with you Dan, to see how things are going in more depth. I feel like it's a shame that my battle-brother from the south seems so far away. Come home for a visit soon.