Monday, September 1, 2008

How goes it?

First and formost, I am exhausted. Things are wiggling in front of me and I don't like it very much. I dont knwo how long ill be abl to mak this before exhaustion kicks in and I pass the F out! Anyway, here goes.

Day Three of the great southern trip!!!


This day was known quite simply as Alabama day. It was, perhaps, our most action packed day. We got up arly, rising with the very stars that happened to have fallen on Alabama, and raced toward the state line from our hotel in Georgia. It was an incredible feeling crossing into Alabama, as I feel it really encapsulates the heart of dixie. We stopped at the welcome center and took note of the new time zone, as Alabama is Mountain time, or something. We rocked out on incrediby comfy and cliche southern rocking chairs and then said adios, getting back into the SUV and blazing through northern Alabama.

We saw a sig for a flea market every sunday, somewhere near Decarur, Georgia. We couldent resist, and I doubt any of you readrs could eaither. We pull off the road and into this magical place where the southland is strong, and ride down a long dusty dirt road ( no joke) to this massive warehouse typ place. They wre slling melons and produce outside of the place, and then as we passd thorugh I could feel the hot stares of angry southerners as thy gawked at our MASSACHUSETTS plates. We entered, and I could write for days about this palce. The country people smoked freely in their stands, and th scnet of tobacco filled the already murky air. Confedrate paraphanalia abounds. I almost bought a CSA shirt, and no, I am not a confederate. Just to hav one, thats all. A man sold Ryan and Jim some variously flavord ciders, and I ended up buying a book for double the price it was marked at from a fat woman who wouldent show her face to me. Sketchy!

We left this place--rather hastily on the departure-- and got back on the interstate, with the destination of Alabamas largest city, Birmingham, in our hearts and on our minds. We drove for a while, and noticed more and more religiously themed overtones on the side of the high way. W eventually arrived in Bham, also known as the magic city, also known as Bombingham, also known as the most racist place in America, also known as th belt buckle of the bible belt! Your city can't stack up.

The streets were deserted.

I mean it. No one was walking the streets of a city almost 400,000 strong. It was incredible. A rouge exception explaind to us that this was becuase everyone was in church, ad it would be impossible for peopl to walk those incredibly wide and empty streat when they were getting their worship on. So we just walked the streets ourselves! But we encounterd a homeless man who asked us for change in the most complimntary fasion ever. We couldent oblige him.

We explored the city more, around UAB and th hospital. Then we left. I will return someday, birmingham. I have things yet to do with you.

After birmingham, we went out toward tuscaloosa, to Moundsville archeological park. Its a lot cooler then it sounds, and it actually sounds prtty cool. Lots of big ol' native American mounds and such.


I hate to do this, but im to tire to continue. I will finish this entry tommorow, with what happend today and the remainded of Alabama Day.

PCe

1 comment:

jimca said...

post more Deetch! im' glad you're detailing the south trip (and doing a great job), there is a lot i forgot already. its a good reference!