Saturday, October 4, 2008

This weekend's happenings up to this point. And a short reflection on physical decay.

First ad foremost, grammar is for wimps and I'll be cutting this post off around 2 this morning, at the latest. I have to take an hour long shower as part of a pact with myself. I'm going to give a brief summery of what I've done this weekend, while playing online poker and chatting on aim. So this may end up being sort of disjointed, but know that my intent is to inform and nothing more, haha.

So Friday is when the weekend starts, in my book. I don't really think there are many days that surpass Friday in grandeur. Anyway, I got to sleep in because one of my classes was canceled, so I did. Then I got up and did a little research on Dresden, before getting lunch and heading off to class. It was moderately interesting, but what else can you expect, haha. What does he even mean by that last sentence, especially the HaHa. Curious. Anyway, Ryan and Jim came up and made my weekend. We hung out that night and sort of got tricked into going to Karate practice. It was wild. Then we watched Iron Man and went into town for Pizza. Went stargazing briefly, it was enjoyable.

Saturday, we got up at ten and went to breakfast, meeting up with Elise, Clem and Lawrence at one point or another. We feasted, then made our way back up the hill, got in my car, and set off toward Holden. We got a little lost, but made it to Nat's house alright. We then climbed Mt. Wachusett, which was a lot of fun per usual. Way down was intensely beautiful. We got to hang out with Ozzie, who I am convinced is probably the coolest animal in the world.

After that we hung out at Nat's house for a bit, and made her lift some weights. She is freakishly strong for a girl her weight. It was startling. At the end of this post, I'll link you to a chart that shows you exactly how she, or anyone else for that matter, stacks up. It was impressive.

So after that we went to friendlys and had a long long long meal. It lasted a few hours. It was fun, though. We ate way to much ten went to Nat's house, chilled and played a medley of musical instruments, then watched momento. With teary eyes we bid Ryan and Jim adieu, and then ventured off into the night ourselves.

Time for my rant...I actually think I may have ranted about this before.

The death of the body in the shadow of the mind.

It sickens me to see people who think they are some sort of intellectual Juggernaut hide behind a computer screen and some thick glasses and act like they are better then the rest of us. In earnest, they are pretty pathetic. They cultivate their minds to the point that their bodies suffer in comparison. All those people who know how to dissect any argument, or have memorized countless facts about something, but are fat, skinny, weak, frail or what have you. In my opinion, its as important to have a powerful and healthy body as a powerful and healthy mind. Perhaps I'm a little bias being sort of a strength athlete, but its fuckin' pathetic to see people who , if it came down to it, would get destroyed in a fight by a lot of girls I know think they are anything special. For gods sake, have some pride in your capabilities and physical prowess. Its fine that you like to know things. I do to. I'm curious about almost every branch of knowledge. But to sit there and let your body, the place where your mind lives, die, is such a waste. Think of it this way. It's awesome that you have 100,000 Homeric hymns memorized, and can hack my computer, but if we got trapped in a small room together, I could rip you limb from limb. If we were outside, I could chase you down. Your a bi-product of an age that was never meant to be. Have pride in everything you do, learn, and think. Have pride in who you are, in the most complete sense of the word.

It's two-o'clock. Shower time.

4 comments:

Laurenornerual said...

Hey dan do you wanna go to a drag show with me?

Brazrazra said...

Wow Lauren, haha.

lane_is_lame said...

I wonder if this post was caused by a specific person. But who? Who goes to amherst that would cause these sort of feelings?

I wonder.

Ryan said...

yea, crowe sucks. i was embarrassed for him while we were hiking so i told him to give me the bag with waters hoping he wouldn't fall so far behind unhindered by the slight extra weight on his back. it didn't work.