Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Philosophy and Hemingway and Octopuses and everything else.

One thing I'm really going to miss about college is the oppertunity to explore. And I dont mean this in just the intellecutal sense, like taking new classes and reading new books and what have yu. I mean this in the sense of exploring oppertunities, trying new things and reacting as a person, be it positive or negative. In all honesty, the beggining of the semester is always a little daunting for me, because I feel buried under work and ike my social life (if you want to call it that, really something in imitation of a social life) will be snuffed out. It is rarely the case. Umass has been a great place for me to grow as a person. I am better off for having come here, but I also know that my mind is still thirsty, and I'm worried, truly, that I wont have anything else to explore once I graduate. In a rut, so to speak.

So far my favorite class this semester is my 19th century german thought class, taught by my favorite professor, the only one im on a first name basis with at this point in my academic career, Professor Andrew Donson. Hes great, and the class seems like its going to be really interesting. Its full of people with opinions about things that are able to express themselves well, so I think heated debate and intense intellecutal growth is very feasible in there. The Empyricism of David Hume really resonates with me, but then there is the simple mathematical proofs that commits his theorys to flame. I'm basically an Empyricyst that believes in Math and perhaps a god. Interesting, huh?

My class with Elise is pretty cool too, although its not grounded in reality and I think thats sort of annoying. The guys a real charector, and he is finaly explosing me to Hemingway, a writer I have had embarrasingly ittle contact with up to this point. I'm very excited for that, because everything I have read by him I have enjoyed.

I met a girl on the bus ride home who was sporting a cool looking octopus tattoo. I got up the courage to speak to her. She told me all about it. As any of you know, the Octopus is my absolute favorite animal, so it was very coo to see one clutching stoicly to the fleshy arm of a near stranger. Made my day, really.


Its been a long day, and its only one. Evan is aparently going home this weekend, which means the room is all mine! I'm going to go wild, I think, haha.

Until tomorrow,

DH

No comments: